Religious Studies 121, World Religions
Fall 2001, Caroline T.
Schroeder, Elon University
Indicate the extent to which you disagree or agree with each of the
following statements using the following scale:
5=strongly agree 4=agree
3=undecided 2=disagree 1=strongly disagree
Content, Organization, and Goals
|1. The instructor has
clear student learning objectives.
|2. The instructor's class
is well prepared and well organized.
|3. The instructor
communicates course material clearly.
|4. The instructor displays
interest in the subject.
|5. The instructor
summarizes or emphasizes important points in class.
|6. The instructor
stimulates my thinking about the subject.
|7. The instructor provides
opportunities for student contact out of class.
|8. The instructor
expresses concern about student progress in the course.
|9. The instructor provides
useful feedback on exams assignments.
|10. The instructor clearly
indicates how my work will be evaluated.
aspects of the instructor's teaching and style that helped the learning
process. (All comments included below.)
* Passion about the subject was obvious. The study guides
were very thorough and useful. I liked working in small
groups. Extra credit opportunities were nice.
* I really felt that the study guides were helpful -- very much
* You can see the enthusiasm and love of the subject matter, which is
* The stuy guides for the tests were the best I have ever seen.
They didn't give the answers but they cleraly told me what and how much
I had to prepare for.
* She was always enthusiastic about what it was we were learning and
she was always encouraging us to engage in discussion and ask questions.
* I really thought that she was a wealth of knowledge about religion
and was clearly interested in what she was doing. Also, if I had
a question about something, she knew the answer immediately.
* I feel that Ms. Schroeder is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable
about the course material, which helped me become more interestsed in
it. She did an exceptionable job as a teacher who is also
* I like the 2 textbooks used for Buddhism and Hinduism, but I did not
like the book for Islam. It did clrearly state terms and what
their relation to Islam was.
* She was willing to cover material many times to get students to
* The study guides were very helpful. The prompts you gave us for
our final project were very helpful also.
* I thought that it was good teaching and the discussions helped.
* You made the big points clear to us, and that was very beneficial.
* Hit all main topics for each section.
* The lecture days were very helpful. I think I'm better at
taking notes while the instructor is talking than during class
* More organization is key. However, main ideas were stressed so
it was easier to prepare for test.
* I liked this class. I learned a lot about the world and things
that are especially important. Her teaching style was
great. Class was rarely just a lecture. It involved many
different aspects of discussion and things that got the class involved.
* Her lectures were great. The slides and videos. No other
teacher could compare to her magnificent style of teaching.
aspects of the instructor's teaching style that could be improved upon
to help the learning process. (All comments included below.)
* I had trouble following the notes and discussions in
class. The readings were all difficult. The essay questions
were hard to follow. Too much information to cover.
* The notes from class were very disorganized -- when it came time for
tests, my notes were confusing and often contradicted themselves along
the way. The tests were good in general however there were some
questions that I didn't feel we went over well enough.
* I just had a really hard time with the organization of the
class. To service my learning style I need the teacher to take
clear and organized notes. I feel like if we had bought one more
expensive book for each hapter instead of having a cheaper book and
spending over 30 or 40 $$ on copying things on reserve. For me to
benefit from learning I really need organization and it was really hard
for me to get organized.
* The first two texts we had were fine, the third, Islam, was really
confusing. I would suggest trying to find another to use.
* I think that I often felt the material we covered was
scattered. The books we read were also very boring...I think that
if we had more study guides to accompany the readings, we would have
had better group discussions.
* Some things were unclear because of jumping around from subject to
* The teacher was not prepared in her discussion and did not plan ahead
and organize the sequence of her discussions. She required way
too much reading for class and it was not good for us to have to pay to
copy the texts.
* Needs to write more understandable notes on the board. Hinduism
book good. Other books were bad. Glossaries are useful.
* The class moved too fast and the material was complicated to go so
* Some of the readings we never used...felt they were not useful.
Ruthven was extremely hard to understand.
* Unorganized. Too much extra outside source searching.
* None. Wonderful teacher! Great class!
* No Ruthven, too hard to follow.
* None - I loved this class.
* I didn't feel we got a lot accomplished in big group discussion.
* Have faith in yourself - you are a good teacher.
* Don't like big group discussions. More teacher lecture
necessary. Shorter reading assignments with more easily
comprehended texts or explanations the next day.
Enrollment: 21 students
Average Grade: B+